Community Service & Volunteering
Community Service and Volunteering at the UNH Child Study and Development Center (rev 3/2012)
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at CSDC. Because of the significant number of adults (staff, students, parents, visitors) at the center, we are often not able to accommodate requests to volunteer or complete community service at CSDC. We need to be mindful of the numbers of new adults coming into our classrooms as this can be difficult for some young children. We also need to be very rigorous about our security and confidentiality requirements.
We are interested in volunteers with experience working with young children, a genuine interest in early childhood education and development AND a willingness to commit to at least 3 hours a week and to follow through with this commitment for at least a semester. Short-term or unreliable volunteering doesn't work for the children and teachers. A shorter weekly or total commitment may be possible with the Center Manager’s agreement if you are engaged in a time-limited project at CSDC involving specific skills (e.g. an art project) or are involved in volunteering over a period longer than a semester.
Your first step is to email your request to email@example.com . If we have a potential opening, the Center Manager will meet with you to discuss your goals for being at CSDC and so that she can learn a little about you, including any special skills you might have. The Center Manager would look at where and when we have a need for additional support and will most likely ask you to spend some time in a classroom before confirming your placement. Please note the following summary guidelines:
- In most cases, a commitment to at least 3 hours weekly for a semester.
- If a volunteer works 5 hours or more a week on a regular basis you will be required to complete professional development hours and additional paperwork (e.g. criminal background check) as required by State licensing.
- Volunteers younger than 17 years of age are covered by state licensing requirements.
- Volunteers with a specialized skill (e.g. art, music, language, etc) or working on a project of interest to CSDC might volunteer for a shorter, defined period of time.
- Preferably some prior experience working with young children is required.
- A genuine interest in learning about early childhood education and development
- Meet with Center Manager and provide a 1 page resume and email reference.
- Center Manager decides on need based on schedules and classrooms.
- Volunteer must spend at least 2 hours in the classroom for observation by teacher or Canter Manager prior to our agreement to start.
- Center Manager does basic half hour training with volunteer (emergency procedures, basic info on being in the classroom).
- Volunteer position may be discontinued at any time by the Center.
- Volunteers must check in on arrival and departure and wear a CSDC nametag.
- Volunteers must sign a confidentiality agreement, be supervised by CSDC staff at all times, and can not be left independently responsible for or alone children.