Pam Moore

Wamanyu Special School staff member and UNH OT student Ashley Hardock

When UNH Occupational Therapy students Maggie Mahoney ‘26 and Ashley Hardock ‘26 found out about a UNH-led trip to Kenya taking place over the 2023-2024 winter break, they felt compelled to go. “The concept of applying and sharing my health-science knowledge with a culture outside of America, as well as experiencing healthcare dynamics and practices with the people of Kenya was enticing,” recalled Maggie.

The service-learning initiative is coordinated by the UNH Social Work Department in collaboration with Kenya-Connect, a Kenyan based NGO. During the two-week experience, students experience cultural immersion and apply classroom learning as real-world practice.

Maggie and Ashley, both seniors in Occupational Therapy advanced degree programs, were among a cohort of nine UNH students. They left expecting to teach the community at the Wamanyu Special School, a boarding school for students with intellectual and physical disabilities, how to utilize occupational therapy to better serve their students. They returned with rich learning experiences of their own.

Before their departure, Maggie and Ashley organized a supply drive to collect school supplies and therapeutic oral sensory toys. Once in Kenya, they trained Wamanyu Special School staff to use the supplies, an experience that was valuable for everyone involved. “I gained confidence in my ability to advocate for occupational therapy and share my expertise and knowledge,” said Maggie.

Ashley knew she’d develop her clinical skills and confidence but was surprised to find that she also developed an understanding of what it feels like to be an outsider. “I gained a bit of insight into what it’s like to be part of a minority,” she said. “Our appearance and language warranted endless stares and some nervous giggles.”

Both Ashley and Maggie returned to campus enthusiastic about their futures as occupational therapists. For Maggie, the trip solidified her desire to work in pediatrics. And while Ashley isn’t sure which practice area she’s drawn to, she knows more travel is on the horizon. “I am going to look to travel OT,” she told UNH. “The trip has uncovered my love for practicing OT internationally.”