Graduate Program Financial Aid

New England Regional (NER) Student Program

Under the New England Regional (NER) student program, admitted graduate students from New England may qualify for regional tuition rates (New Hampshire resident tuition, plus 50 percent).

To qualify, the Core Areas of Study or Marriage and Family Therapy Master’s programs would not be available at any of their home state/public institutions.  Go to New England Board of Higher Education for more information.

Federal Financial Aid

Graduate students who are enrolled in a degree program at least half time (5 or more credits per semester) and are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens may be considered for Federal Financial Aid.  Graduate students who apply for Federal Financial Aid are reviewed for loans and work study only; there are no federal grants or scholarships awarded to graduate students by the UNH Financial Aid Office.

To apply for Federal Financial Aid, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or a renewal application.  You can complete a hard copy form or apply online at  The FAFSA/renewal application must be received by the federal processor no later than March 1, which is also the UNH priority deadline for applying for financial aid.  If your FAFSA form does not reach the federal processor by March 1, you will be eliminated from consideration for all forms of Federal Financial Aid except the Federal Stafford Loan, which is not subject to the priority deadline.

You must also complete a Graduate Student Aid Verification Form and a Graduate Student Credit Verification Form before your financial aid application can be reviewed. These forms are available at the UNH Financial Aid Office or can be found on their website. Be aware that the Financial Aid Office will make their offer of aid based on your actual tuition charges. If you will be enrolled for less than 9 credits, or if you will be paying reduced tuition in either semester, your aid package may be adjusted. If you change your status (i.e., from full to part time), receive a scholarship, tuition waiver or other resource, or correct and/or change the information on the FAFSA, an aid adjustment may result.

Assistance through the Graduate School 

Merit Scholarships
The Graduate School maintains a limited number of scholarships to reward students for outstanding potential and/or performance in a graduate program. Availability and criteria for award of these scholarships are announced annually by the Graduate School.

Scholarships for Part-Time Students
Students who are part-time may be granted tuition scholarships, which provide a partial waiver of tuition charges. The scholarships are awarded each semester of the academic year. Applications are available at the Graduate School. University employees or family members who are eligible for staff benefits are not eligible to receive scholarships for part-time students

Assistance through the Human Development and Family Studies Department

Students who are enrolled full-time may be granted a partial tuition scholarship for the academic year or semester. These awards provide a waiver of tuition and are subject to the maintenance of a high scholastic record. You should indicate your interest in a scholarship on your application for admission.

The Department of Human Development and Family Studies currently has four half-time research assistantships to award to incoming and continuing full-time graduate students, although the number of assistantships may vary from year to year.  Half-time assistantships consist of ten paid hours of work per week and a one-half tuition waiver.  You should indicate your interest in an assistantship on your application for admission.

  • Federal Work Study utilizes federal funds to provide employment opportunities to graduate students who file on time and demonstrate financial need. 
  • The Federal Perkins Loan is a federally funded loan program administered by UNH and is available to graduate students who file on time and demonstrate exceptional need.
  • The Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan is a federally funded loan available to graduate students who demonstrate financial need.
  • The Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is available to graduate students regardless of financial need.  For more information about the Stafford Loan Programs visit

If you receive Federal Financial Aid, you must maintain satisfactory progress in your course of study. The current standards for satisfactory academic progress are available upon request from the Financial Aid Office.