The Department of Recreation Management and Policy's mission is to advance the intellectual and professional development of students, and to promote health, quality of life and sustainable environments through excellence in teaching, research and public service.
Department Value Statements
- Undergraduate education and the undergraduate learning experience is the foundation of the Department of Recreation Management and Policy.
- The on-campus graduate program in the Department of Recreation Management and Policy should be intimate and high quality, allowing opportunities for faculty and graduate students to work closely together on teaching, research, and service efforts.
- Student learning is enhanced when it happens in a context that promotes diverse abilities, experiences, and ways of thinking, and that values and respects human diversity in all its forms.
- The department values research and scholarship that builds new knowledge in the recreation and leisure field, helps to address real-world issues, engages department stakeholders, and involves undergraduate and graduate students where possible.
- The department strives to create a community of scholars that unites the interests of faculty, staff, graduate students, and undergraduates to increase learning opportunities and student experiences.
- Effective blending of classroom, lab, field, and service-learning experiences will enhance students’ understanding of best thinking and best practices.
- The promotion of healthy communities and lifestyles can be realized through the professional planning and management of recreation programs.
- To maintain and enhance a high quality, self-supporting graduate program;
- To promote and support interdisciplinary teaching, scholarship, and service;
- To continue and enhance the departmental contributions to the Mission and Strategic Initiatives of University of New Hampshire;
- To develop and implement additional recruitment efforts designed to attract high quality students, including minorities, individuals with disabilities, and adult learners;
- To increase departmental involvement in research, creative endeavors, and scholarly writing;
- To strengthen ties between the department and community-based professionals;
- To continue to support and enhance faculty and student professional involvement at the state, regional, and national level; and To promote, support and recognize student & faculty professional development.