The goal of the New Hampshire Senior Leadership Series is to develop leadership skills of older adults, caregivers, family members and friends to advocate at both the state and federal levels.
The New Hampshire Senior Leadership Series:
- Is a wonderful opportunity for growth and learning and a commitment of time and energy for its participants.
- Aims to choose participants with a variety of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives.
- Is designed to support the development of leadership skills that will assist participants to effectively engage in positive social change for our aging population.
The Senior Leadership series is in its eighth year. Graduates from previous years have gone on to apply skills learned through the program to local, state and national advocacy efforts, taken on leadership roles in their community, as well as personally advocating for a family member or friend.
The goal of the series is to provide support and training in the advocacy and leadership skills necessary to promote livable communities, including community-based systems of support for New Hampshire residents as they age.
What to Expect
Participants will meet five times over eight months and receive intensive training on a wide variety of educational and community topics. The series will take place in several locations across NH inlcuding Plymouth, Manchester, Concord, Portsmouth, and Lebanon.
Five interactive sessions will be presented by respected leaders in community organizing, leadership development, and best practices in older adult advocacy issues. The sessions will cover:
- Aging and Society— New Hampshire and National Impacts
- Community Engagement and Livable Communities
- The Legislative Process
- Aging Well in our Communities
- Group Presentations and Graduation
Upon acceptance, each participant is asked to pay a $45 contribution to the program; it will be the only cost to participate. People needing additional supports (e.g. respite care, transportation, interpreter, physical assistance) will be assisted in every way possible to facilitate their attendance and participation.
If you have any questions or would like to contact us about the Senior Leadership Series please email Laura Davie at Laura.Davie@unh.edu.
A 2015 brief by Laura Davie, Sue Fox and Alison Rataj examined the lack of advocacy for senior issues in the Granite State and explored strategies that can be employed to grow grass-roots leadership among older adults. The Senior Leadership Series was found to be a promising practice to address this need.