Recreation Management and Policy: Therapeutic Recreation Administration M.S.

Northeast Passage Three Mile Notch
Recreation Management and Policy: Therapeutic Recreation Administration M.S.

The Therapeutic Recreation Administration option prepares advanced personnel for administrative responsibilities in clinical-based practice & administrative leadership in community-based recreation services that meet the needs of individuals with disabilities. Graduate education serves Therapeutic Recreation Specialists who wish to move into administrative positions such as supervisor/manager/director, senior therapist, treatment coordinator, assisted-living manager, and senior center supervisor. A specialization in community-based TR is also available through our partnership with Northeast Passage (, including coursework and practice experiences related to in-home/community health promotion programming, TR service delivery in the school system, and adaptive sports.

Students without an academic or clinical background in therapeutic recreation may use the M.S. program to satisfy the academic requirements for the national credentialing examination used by the National Council on Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) and for New Hampshire state licensure. While the graduate program does not require prerequisite courses to qualify for admission, the credentialing examination ( does require coursework outside the M.S. curriculum requirements and the department may require leveling coursework upon acceptance to the M.S. program.


Department of Recreation Management & Policy
Hewitt Hall, 4 Library Way
Durham, NH 03824

Phone: (603) 862-2391

Curriculum & Requirements

Degree Requirements

The 30-credit Therapeutic Recreation Administration option consists of required and elective coursework. In consultation with a faculty adviser, students will select either a thesis or non-thesis track. Full-time students with a TR undergraduate degree typically take two years to progress through the degree requirements; full-time students without a TR undergrad degree need more than two years. Part-time students typically complete the program in 3 years.

Required Courses12-13
RMP 800Concepts of Recreation and Leisure3
RMP 805Management and Policy in Therapeutic Recreation3
RMP 998Special Topics (Research Methods)3
Select one of the following Graduate-level statistics' courses:
SW 962Data Analysis and Statistics3
EDUC 881Introduction to Statistics: Inquiry, Analysis, and Decision Making4
Elective Courses12-15
Select courses (4 courses/12 credits for the thesis option or 5 courses/15 credits for the non-thesis option with at least one elective from RMP):
RMP 806Recreation Administration and Organizational Behavior3
RMP 811Recreation Resource Management3
RMP 820Adaptive Sports and Recreation Facilitation3
RMP 830Camp Administration and Leadership3
RMP 840Therapeutic Recreation Service Delivery in Community Settings3
RMP 860Program Administration in Recreational Sport3
RMP 850Aging, Advocacy, and Active Learning3
RMP 868Theories of Youth Development3
RMP 870Management and Design of Recreation and Park Facilities3
RMP 872Law and Public Policy in Leisure Services3
RMP 875Entrepreneurial and Commercial Recreation3
RMP 912Non-Profit Administration and Leadership3
RMP 924Fund Development and Grantwriting3
RMP 964Graduate Internship3
RMP 970Teaching Practicum3
RMP 980Independent Study1-3
Capstone Course (choose 1 track)
Thesis Track:
RMP 899Master's Thesis (I & II, 3 credits each)6
Non-thesis Track:
RMP 995Colloquium Seminar3
RMP 980Independent Study3
Example of electives outside of the department (not an all-inclusive list):
KIN 881Inclusion in Physical Education4
PHP 920Social Marketing3
PHP 922Public Health Economics3
RAM 867Social Impact Assessment4
RAM 877Topics in Community Planning4
SOC 988Medical Sociology: Health, Healing, and Society4
HMP 900Introduction to the Health Services Industry3
HDFS 846Human Sexuality4
HDFS 857Race, Class, Gender, and Families4
HDFS 860Family Programs and Policies4
HDFS 876Children, Adolescents and the Law4
HDFS 894Families and the Law4
HDFS 993Theoretical Approaches to Human Development and Family Studies4
HDFS 843Families, Schools, and Community4
KIN 802Health Content and Youth Risk Behaviors4
KIN 831Inclusive Teaching Through Sport4
KIN 882Therapeutic Applications of Adventure Programming4
KIN 883Pysch Factors of Adventure Ed4
NUTR 840Nutrition for Children with Special Needs4
NUTR 865Geriatric Nutrition4
NUTR 873Clinical Nutrition4
NUTR 880Critical Issues in Nutrition4
OT 822Introduction to Assistive Technology4
OT 824Assistive Technology and Physical Disabilities4
OT 826Assistive Technology and Sensory, Communicative, and Cognitive Disabilities4
OT 830Assistive Technology for Enhancing Occupational Performance3
OT 830LAssistive Technology for Enhancing Occupational Performance Lab2
OT 889Using iPads to Support Children with Disabilities3
PHP 900Public Health Care Systems3
PHP 904Social and Behavioral Health3
PHP 905Public Health Administration3
PHP 907Public Health Policy3
PHP 908Public Health Ethics3
PHP 912Public Health Law3
PHP 914Public Health Policy Analysis3
PHP 924Policy and Practice of Community Health Assessment3
PHP 938Health Education and Promotion3
SW 805Child and Adolescent Risks and Resiliency: Program, Policy and Practice3
SW 814Introduction to Addiction: Assessment and Intervention3
SW 820Social Welfare Policy I3
SOC 880Social Conflict4
SW 840Implications of Race, Culture, and Oppression for Social Work Practice3
SW 850Human Behavior and the Social Environment I3
SW 865Adventure Therapy: Facillitation and Processing of the Experience3
SW 897Special Topics in Social Work and Social Welfare2 or 3


Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: Feb. 1 (for funding and GA application); March 15 (final)
  • Spring: Nov. 1
  • Summer: N/A
  • Special: N/A

Application fee: $65

Campus: Durham

New England Regional:  ME MA RI

Accelerated Masters: Yes

New Hampshire Residents

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. 

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of recommendation: 3 required

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Special Note: Currently enrolled UNH students applying to the accelerated masters non-thesis option are only required to submit two letters of recommendation; the third letter is waived. Prior to applying, please contact Patricia Craig ( or 603-862-0140) to obtain the third letter waiver.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions

Prepare a careful statement regarding:

  1. Why are you choosing to pursue graduate work in the RMP Department at UNH? 
  2. Why are you interested in this specific option of study (choose one: recreation administration, therapeutic recreation administration, or adaptive sports administration)?
  3. How does your professional and/or educational background make you suitable for a career in this specific option of study?
  4. What are your academic and research interests?
  5. What professional and/or academic accomplishments have you achieved to date that will contribute to your success?
  6. What are your future career goals – what do you plan to do after completing the RMP graduate program?

Statements must be included with your submitted application.


A current resume is required with your submitted application.

Important Notes

All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

International Applicants

Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to complete our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent examination scores. Please note that English Language Exams may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.

Explore Program Details

take the next step

student posing in doorway on campus


Thompson Hall


student at Career Event