Adapted Physical Education (Graduate Certificate)

Adapted Physical Education (Graduate Certificate)
Participants play wheelchair frisbee

Why get a graduate certificate in adapted physical education?

Designed to enhance your skills as a licensed physical education teacher or student in the Master of Education program at UNH, the graduate certificate in adapted physical education will introduce you to the characteristics of individuals with exceptionality, issues of developmental disabilities and positive behavior supports. You’ll integrate field experiences through class discussion, readings and assignments, and you’ll focus on assessment, planning and implementation of physical education and activity programming for students with disabilities.

Why get your adapted physical education certificate at UNH?

Our faculty is drawn from both the kinesiology and education departments at UNH, featuring recognized leaders in their areas of expertise. The program emphasizes both classroom and hands-on learning in the lab and field. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in the annual adapted physical education conference hosted by UNH. You will graduate from the program with the leadership skills needed to advance in the workplace and take leadership roles in the field.

Potential careers

  • Adaptive sports instructor
  • Adventure therapist
  • Athletic administrator
  • Clinical exercise physiologist
  • Physical education teacher
  • Researcher
  • Youth program specialist

Request Information

We use text messages to communicate important event and application information (msg and data rates may apply).

Curriculum & Requirements

The Department of Kinesiology at the University of New Hampshire now offers a graduate certificate in adapted physical education. The intent of this certificate is to better prepare teachers to enhance their overall knowledge of students with disabilities in general and/or adapted physical education or physical activity settings. 


Please visit the Graduate School website for information about applying to the certificate program.

Certificate Requirements

Students must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and have a valid New Hampshire physical education teaching license or be enrolled in the master in education program at the University of New Hampshire and complete 15 credit hours of specified coursework to receive the certificate.

Required Courses
KIN 831Inclusive Teaching Through Sport4
KIN #842Advanced Assessment in Adapted Physical Activity4
KIN 895Advanced Studies2-4
Elective Courses (select at least one)
EDUC 850Introduction to Disability in Inclusive Schools and Communities4
EDUC 956Developing Positive Behavior Supports to Ensure Success for All Learners4
KIN 881Inclusion in Physical Education 14

With consent of their advisor, Kinesiology Health and Physical Education students who have taken HPE 781 Inclusion in Physical Education can satisfy the four course requirement through another 800-level elective relevant to the certificate program.

Apply now


Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: July 1
  • Spring: Dec. 1
  • Summer: April 1
  • Special: N/A

Application fee: $25

Campus: Durham

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters Eligible: No

New Hampshire Residents

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence Form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.


If you attended UNH or Granite State College (GSC) after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester, UNH Non-Degree work and GSC. 

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must upload a copy (PDF) of your transcript in the application form. International transcripts must be translated into English.

If admitted, you must then request an official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Transcripts from all previous post-secondary institutions must be submitted and applicants must disclose any previous academic or disciplinary sanctions that resulted in their temporary or permanent separation from a previous post-secondary institution. If it is found that previous academic or disciplinary separations were not disclosed, applicants may face denial and admitted students may face dismissal from their academic program.

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Required

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions

Prepare a brief but careful statement regarding:

  1. Reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives.
  2. Your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.

Additional Department Requirements

In addition to the regular graduate school requirements the program has the following requirements: Students must hold a baccalaureate degree by an accredited college or university and have a valid New Hampshire physical education teaching license or be enrolled in the Masters in Education program at the University of New Hampshire. Contact program for complete details.

Important Notes

All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program-specific application questions.

International Applicants

Prospective international students are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent examination scores. English Language Exams may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.

Explore Program Details

Take the Next Step

student posing in doorway on campus
Thompson Hall
student at Career Event