Social Work (Advanced Standing) M.S.W.

MSW students attending a class
Social Work (Advanced Standing) M.S.W.

Why get an advanced standing master’s degree in social work?

If you have graduated within the last five years with a Bachelor of Social Work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)-accredited program with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better, you are eligible to apply for the advanced standing MSW degree at UNH. Professional social workers make a difference in people’s lives, communities and society. An MSW is a professional degree that will prepare you for work in fields such as healthcare, education, substance abuse, child welfare, employee assistance programs, policy and advocacy, and other human services and social welfare related areas. Additionally, an MSW is the first step toward becoming a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW).

Why choose UNH’s Master of Social Work program?

At UNH, you’ll earn a CSWE-accredited MSW from a top-tier research university. You’ll learn from full-time faculty who are passionate about social justice and are experts in their fields of practice.  The advanced standing option will allow you to finish your degree in a much shorter timeframe than a traditional MSW program – as few as 12 months in Durham or 16 months online. You’ll also gain hands-on experience while making a difference in your community through a local field internship. 

Potential careers

  • Child welfare case worker
  • Community health worker or outreach organizer
  • Juvenile/adult criminal justice social worker
  • Medical or mental health social worker
  • Public health administrator
  • Public policy analyst or research assistant
  • School social worker
  • Substance use disorder counselor


Department of Social Work
Pettee Hall, 55 College Road
Durham, NH 03824
Phone: (603) 862-1799

Curriculum & Requirements

Advanced Standing Program

The M.S.W. program at the Durham campus considers advanced standing for exceptional students with undergraduate degrees from accredited baccalaureate social work programs. Applicants must have graduated from the B.S.W. program within five years of matriculation into the M.S.W. program. Advanced standing students complete a minimum of 35 credits for graduation. This includes a 10-week summer practicum and seminar, which students must take prior to their advanced practice and field placement.

MSW Program Advanced Standing (post B.S.W./B.S.S.W.) Courses

SW 900Advanced Standing Practice and Field Seminar3
SW 840Implications of Race, Culture, and Oppression for Social Work Practice3
SW 930Advanced General Practice III: Clinical Assessment and Intervention3
SW 952Human Behavior and the Social Environment III3
SW 962Data Analysis and Statistics3
SW 982Field Internship III (seminar and concurrent internship)4
SW 926Social Welfare Policy II (unless completed in B.S.W./B.S.S.W., then an elective)3
SW 931Advanced Generalist Practice IV: Community and Administrative Practice3
SW 965Program and Practice Evaluation3
SW 983Field Internship IV (Seminar & Concurrent Internship)4
One Elective Course3
Total Credits35


Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

    Fall: N/A
    Spring: N/A
    Summer: Nov. 1
    Special: N/A

Application fee: $65

Campus: Durham

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters Eligible: No

New Hampshire Residents

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. 

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of recommendation: 3 required

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

At least one letter must attest to observed skills in a volunteer or employment setting that would be indicative of success in the social service field.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions

Applicants must provide a well-constructed double-spaced essay of 4-5 pages. Please respond to the questions below:

  1. How did you become interested in social work?
  2. What personal, academic, organizational, volunteer and/or paid work experiences have influenced your choice of social work as a profession?
  3. Briefly discuss a current social issue of great concern or interest to you.
  4. Describe some intellectual and personal attributes that you believe make you particularly suited for the profession of social work.

Statements must be included with your submitted application.


A current resume is required with your submitted application.

Additional Department Requirements:

In order to understand the unique timing of the program, students interested in the Advanced Standing MSW/JD dual degree program must consult Professor Sharon Murphy prior to submitting their application.

Important Notes

All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

Significant volunteer and/or work experience in the field is strongly recommended.

International Applicants

Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to complete our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent examination scores. Please note that English Language Exams may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.

Explore Program Details

take the next step

student posing in doorway on campus


Thompson Hall


student at Career Event